guix-devel

Re: none

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Re: none
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2016 04:06:56 +0200

A provocation: because of purism GNU Guix takes an elitist approach.

I am thinking that we need another project because it appears to be
impossible to combine low threshold with GNU Guix goals.

How about Alt-Guix, a packaging effort without opinion. As long as a
package builds it gets accepted. This can act as an incubator for main
line. There will be no purist views on syntax, layout, license, github
etc. The whole idea is to build on each others shoulders and anything
that starts is a great contribution.

It would have accepted Erlang + Elixir packages half a year ago and
made it possible to get people interested in these much earlier. Maybe
they would have made it to main line already because more people got
involved and wanted that.

This is much closer to my idea of successful incremental FOSS
projects, i.e., welcome all comers. I think that is part of the appeal
of brew and conda. People need immediate gratification for work.

I understand the need for purism, and applaud the idea, but we are
throwing up too many barriers.

Because GNU Guix is an extreme, we can have the other extreme too. It
would make it easier to invite people, train people and find packages
now hiding behind GUIX_PACKAGE_PATHs.

Pj.