guix-devel

Re: none

From: Tomáš Čech
Subject: Re: none
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2016 09:03:24 +0200

On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 12:38:44PM -0400, myglc2 wrote:

Hi Roel,

Roel Janssen <address@hidden> skribis:

[...]

One thing that really helped me in reducing the time to contribute
changes to the upstream distribution, is to have a good workflow.  I
ended up doing the following:
1. Make the changes.
2. Commit the changes.
3 git format-patch -1 --no-attach
4. git reset --hard <latest commit on origin/master>
5. Submit the patch to the mailing list
6. Wait for response and probably go back to 1.

I made all of my changes on a GNU Guix git checkout.  So, not writing
package definitions on a separate repository.

Do you think it would help to add this as a section in the manual?

This is a great idea!

This reminds me:

https://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/69604641.jpg

I ended with using topic branches or queues instead, all on top of
master.

wip - not yet finished changes
review - sent to ML and waiting for review
lvm, kernel, ... - branches with some topic changes

cherry-picking from wip to review and sending from there as described
above.

`git pull --rebase' will identify when they have been merged.

S_W