guix-devel

Re: replying to a message of a mailing list you were not subscribed to

From: Danny Milosavljevic
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2016 19:25:40 +0200

On Sun, 24 Jul 2016 19:18:39 +0200
Danny Milosavljevic <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Even worse, if I want to reply to an issue on a mailing list that I'm not
> > subscribed to, it's difficult. I still haven't figured it out, maybe you
> > can go
> > to the archive and download an mbox and look at the reference and ask your
> > mail
> > client to reply to it? I don't know.
>
> You read the (X-)"Message-Id" header field from the archive (for Guix, it's
> in a HTML comment - for example in
> <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2016-07/msg01127.html>). Then
> you add an "In-Reply-To" header with the same value to your E-Mail (if your
> E-Mail client doesn't add angle brackets, add them manually - but for example
> git send-email adds angle brackets automatically).
>
> I'd suggest to make this field a text in the archive instead of a comment. Is
> that possible?

Also, it would be user-friendlier to add a "mailto:"; link there which has this
header in the first place.

This would work via:

mailto:address@hidden&In-Reply-To=xxxx
.

Note that this would increase spam to the list almost immediately. (If that's a
problem, I can suggest to make it harder to automatically read by using
Javascript instead of plain HTML in order to make it build this URL only if a
human is at the client)