guix-devel

Re: Go build system

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Go build system
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2016 00:25:40 +0200

Hello!

Leo Famulari <address@hidden> skribis:

> I just wrote my first package using Go, the crude Syncthing package that
> is attached. It still needs a lot of work, especially since it builds
> Syncthing's dependencies from bundled copies instead of external
> packages.
>
> But, it does illustrate some of the assumptions that Go makes when
> building. It seems that Go is very particular about directory
> structures; it would be better if we could avoid these contortions by
> setting some environment variables.

It outlines the command sequence that needs to be run.  I’d suggest
starting from that in ‘go-build-system’.  Let’s make it work for this
package, and then we can adjust if some of the assumptions happened to
be specific to Syncthing.

> Should Go packages refer to the compiler? This Syncthing package does
> retain a reference.

I suppose it keeps a reference to run-time support libraries provided by
the ‘go’ package?

> I hope to get some replies from some people who have been building Go
> software for longer than 1 day ;)

I have infinitely less experience than that ;-) but since nobody replied
I thought I’d share my 2¢.

Ludo’.