guix-devel

Re: Go & bundling

From: Alex Griffin
Subject: Re: Go & bundling
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2016 23:06:14 -0500

Leo Famulari <address@hidden> wrote:
> If that manifest is a standard thing, we could make a go-importer that
> used it to create new packages.

The manifest is not standardized, or rather, there are too many
competing standards.

On Mon, Jul 25, 2016, at 08:56 PM, Catonano wrote:
> The "new packages" indicated in the manifest could, in turn, have bundled
> dependencies. So the importer should be a recursive one.
> Like the one that Jelle is using for npm.
>
> Right ?

If we are going to unbundle packages, I think it would be best if our
code ignored any manifest files entirely. Versioning is a mess in the Go
ecosystem, and usually the version specified in them only reflects the
most recent commit that the developers had on their machine when they
ran the vendor command. Rarely is it an actual tagged, stable release.

BTW, the following command will probably be useful. It lists the
dependencies of the current package (whose source is in the current
directory), minus the stdlib.

    go list -f '{{join .Deps "\n"}}' | xargs go list -f '{{if not
    .Standard}}{{.ImportPath}}{{end}}'

I hope that helps!
--
Alex Griffin