guix-devel

Re: Odd behavior with --dry-run and --upgrade

From: Roel Janssen
Subject: Re: Odd behavior with --dry-run and --upgrade
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2016 12:20:17 +0200

Ludovic Courtès writes:

> Roel Janssen <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> Ludovic Courtès writes:
>>
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> Alex Kost <address@hidden> skribis:

>>> Same here…

>>> In theory it could be useful for ‘guix build’, since it’s a “low level”
>>> tool and people using it may want to be able to distinguish between
>>> grafted and non-grafted results.
>>>
>>> But honestly, I think changing ‘--dry-run’ to do ‘--dry-run --no-grafts’
>>> would be fine, and probably better than the current situation.
>>
>> Could you provide some insight in where I should be looking to att the
>> check to 'graft?'?
>
> Everything that relates to command-line argument processing is in (guix
> scripts build), for the common options, and then in each (guix scripts
> *) module.
>
> Roughly, the change I suggest would be along these lines:

Aha.  Disabling grafting when the `--dry-run' switch is provided seems
like exactly what we want to do.  Should we add a `--enable-grafts' too?

> However, since --dry-run is processed separately in each command, this
> change should probably be duplicated.
>
> Would you like to look into it?

Yes!  Please allow me some time though.

> Something similar should be done in the Emacs interface.

I'm not familiar with the code of the Emacs interface.  Any other
takers for it?  Otherwise I will look into it, but that will take even
more time :)

Kind regards,
Roel Janssen