guix-devel

Re: guix package modif testing

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: guix package modif testing
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2016 15:25:25 +0200

On Wed, Jul 27, 2016 at 03:19:43PM +0200, Vincent Legoll wrote:
> It looks like this :
> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/guix.html#Building-from-Git
> is intended for people willing to hack on guix itself, but I want to hack
> at the package's definitions...

This is all the same, everything is tightly integrated.

> I want to test the pythondialog patch I posted in te other thread...
> How do you try modifications to packages that are already in the repo ?

Personally I just create another local git branch and make my
modifications there, in gnu/packages/....scm. In case things work out,
it is then trivial to create a patch (git commit + git format-patch)
and to send it to the list (you may even use git send-email, which
is in a separate output of the git package).

Andreas