guix-devel

Re: libgd security update / i686 issues

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: libgd security update / i686 issues
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2016 13:22:40 -0400

Leo Famulari <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 10:40:49AM +0200, Andreas Enge wrote:
>> Well, the bug report states that the result is correct on armv7. Apparently
>> i686 is not IEEE compliant by default, while armv7 is. So it should be okay
>> to apply the flags only on i686. We assume that SSE, but not SSE2 or later
>> are supported, see our Qt package.
>
> Thanks for the advice. What do you think about the attached patch?

Not all i686 systems have support for SSE.  I don't think we should
apply the upstream suggested workaround, which effectively amounts to
dropping support for older systems.  If we want to add a requirement for
SSE for i686 systems in Guix, that should be a separate discussion, and
not rushed in as part of a security update.

I will adapt my patch to the new version.

     Mark