guix-devel

Re: rust work in progress conflicts

From: Eric Le Bihan
Subject: Re: rust work in progress conflicts
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2016 20:31:44 +0200

Hi ng0, all!

Le Thu, 28 Jul 2016 08:28:18 +0000,
ng0 <address@hidden> a écrit :

> ng0 <address@hidden> writes:
[...]
> So I picked up rust.scm again and forgot about this thread, only a
> search for rust brought it up again.
> As this will be a long task obviously, however we finish it, can we
> file a bug on it so it is obvious that work is being done on it and
> there'll be no dual work on this?
>
> Recently released version 1.10.0 of rust merged the
> "--disable-codegen-tests" I needed back when i worked on it.

It happens that I tried to package Rust, as an introduction to Guix.
Here is my version, inspired by the Haskell package, where Rust 1.10.0
is built, bootstrapped by a binary version of rustc 1.9.0. It uses the
"cc" wrapper trick previously presented.

Some questions, though:

1. I can compile a sample program in a guix environment created using
`guix environment gcc glibc binutils rust`, but the program
generated fails to run because libgcc_s.so.1 can not be found. How can
it be added to the environment?

2. Having a Rust compiler is cool, but having Cargo, the Rust package
manager, would be even better. Cargo is also bootstrapped, and it is
also built using zillions of crates (Rust packages) downloaded from the
Internet. How could this case be handled in Guix?

Best regards,

--
ELB