guix-devel

Re: [GSoC] Continuous integration tool à la Hydra.

From: Mathieu Lirzin
Subject: Re: [GSoC] Continuous integration tool à la Hydra.
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2016 21:26:32 +0200

Hello,

Florian Paul Schmidt <address@hidden> writes:

> On 07/25/2016 11:36 PM, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>
>>> For those willing to follow my work, a Git repository is available here:
>>>
>>>   https://notabug.org/mthl/cuirass
>>
>> … and the README has instructions on how to run it.  If anyone has spare
>> CPU cycles, run Cuirass, ‘guix publish’, and share.  :-)
>
> Sorry, if this mail comes around twice. Thunderbird crashed :(
>
> Sadly the instructions to build it are a bit unclear. I tried:
>
> address@hidden ~/cuirass$ guix environment --ad-hoc gcc gcc:lib automake guix
> guile
> guix environment: warning: ambiguous package specification `guile'
> guix environment: warning: choosing guile-2.0.11 from
> gnu/packages/guile.scm:131:2
> address@hidden ~/cuirass [env]$
> GUILE_LOAD_PATH=$GUILE_LOAD_PATH:/home/fps/guix/ ./configure
>

> checking for a BSD-compatible install...
> /run/current-system/profile/bin/install -c
> checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p...
> /run/current-system/profile/bin/mkdir -p
> checking for gawk... gawk
> checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... no
> checking whether make supports nested variables... no
> checking whether make supports nested variables... (cached) no
> checking build system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
> checking host system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
> checking for pkg-config... no
> checking for GUILE... no
> configure: error: in `/home/fps/cuirass':
> configure: error: The pkg-config script could not be found or is too
> old.  Make sure it
> is in your PATH or set the PKG_CONFIG environment variable to the full
> path to pkg-config.
>
> Alternatively, you may set the environment variables GUILE_CFLAGS
> and GUILE_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
> See the pkg-config man page for more details.
>
> To get pkg-config, see <http://pkg-config.freedesktop.org/>.
> See `config.log' for more details

I have tested successfully with the following command on a foreign
system:

  guix environment --ad-hoc automake pkg-config guile guix libgcrypt sqlite
guile-sqlite3

Tell me if it works for you.

> How about including a guix package definition then we can easily build
> it assuming "we" know how to do out-of-guix-tree package building :)

It would indeed be nice to provide an easy way for Guix users to install
Cuirass.  IMHO package definitions meant as a development build tool is
confusing and should be avoided.  Nonetheless, I think it is useful to
document the previous 'guix environment ...' command in the README.

Thank you for your feedback.

--
Mathieu Lirzin