guix-devel

Re: Rust

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Rust
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2016 15:39:29 +0200

David Craven <address@hidden> skribis:

>> Can we reasonably expect to bootstrap it from source,
>> using a series of previous Rust versions, or using an
>> alternative implementation?
>
> Currently as Jelle said no. But there is [0] that may be a
> viable option in the future.
>
> [0] https://github.com/thepowersgang/mrustc

That would be great.

>> Having crates available as normal Guix packages is the
>> best option for Guix users: uniform interface, the ability
>> to use ‘guix environment’ and all the tools, transactional
>> upgrade and rollback, etc.
>
> I think with a cargo plugin that interacts with the guix daemon,

The Guix daemon is very low-level, is has no idea what a package is, so
it’d be the wrong place for such things IMO.

What we did for other languages should work here: (1) provide an
importer, and (2) provide a build system (we have ‘guix import cpan’ and
‘perl-build-system’, and so on.)

Ludo’.