guix-devel

Re: [PACKAGE] musl libc

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: [PACKAGE] musl libc
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2016 16:01:33 +0200

Hi Vincent,

thank you for your efforts!

> Advise about how to finish the submission process, in which
> scm file should this go ? I did it standalone, but it looks like
> that's not the way things go in guix. Should it go with glibc ?

It’s fine to put it in a separate file “gnu/packages/musl.scm” and add
it to the list of modules in “gnu/local.mk”.

What follows is a short review with some comments.

> ;;; GNU Guix --- Functional package management for GNU
> ;;; Copyright <C2><A9> 2016 Vincent Legoll <address@hidden>
> ;;;
> ;;; This file is part of GNU Guix.
> ;;;
> ;;; GNU Guix is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
> ;;; under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
> ;;; the Free Software Foundation; either version 3 of the License, or (at
> ;;; your option) any later version.
> ;;;
> ;;; GNU Guix is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
> ;;; WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
> ;;; MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
> ;;; GNU General Public License for more details.
> ;;;
> ;;; You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
> ;;; along with GNU Guix.  If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.

> (define-module (musl)
>   #:use-module (guix download)
>   #:use-module (guix packages)
>   #:use-module (guix build-system gnu)
>   #:use-module (guix licenses)
>   #:use-module (gnu packages))

> (define-public musl
>   (package
>     (name "musl")
>     (version "1.1.15")
>     (source (origin
>               (method url-fetch)
>               (uri (string-append "http://www.musl-libc.org/releases/"; name
> "-"
>                                   version ".tar.gz"))
>               (sha256
>                (base32
>                 "1ymhxkskivzph0q34zadwfglc5gyahqajm7chqqn2zraxv3lgr4p"))))
>     (build-system gnu-build-system)
>     (arguments `(#:tests? #f)) ; Musl has no tests

>     (synopsis "New C standard library to power a new generation of Linux-based
> devices")

I would change it to just “Small C standard library”.  What do you
think?

>     (description "The musl libc is lightweight, fast, simple, free, and
> strives
> to be correct in the sense of standards-conformance and safety.")

How about this instead?

    “musl is a simple and lightweight C standard library.  It strives to
     be correct in the sense of standards-conformance and safety.”

“fast” is a bit of a loaded term, so we often avoid it.  Since all
packages in Guix are “free” we usually drop this term from descriptions.

>     (home-page "http://www.musl-libc.org";)
>     (license (x11-style "file://COPYRIGHT"))))

This looks good.  If you agree, I’ll copy the changes and make a commit
with you as the author.

Normally, contributors send changes as patches to the mailing list.  For
future contributions it might be helpful to take a look at the
“Contributing” section in the manual:

    https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Contributing.html

This essentially describes how to get started with Guix from a git
clone, generate patches with “git format-patch” and how to send them via
email.  If anything in there is confusing to you please let us know and
we’ll try to help.  You’re also welcome to visit the #guix IRC channel
on Freenode for discussions or questions.

Welcome on board!

~~ Ricardo