guix-devel

Re: License auditing

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: License auditing
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2016 22:42:19 +0200

Howdy!

Leo Famulari <address@hidden> skribis:

> I've heard that if the only license information is a copy of the full
> license (for example, in LICENSE or COPYING) and the files have no
> license headers, then the "or later" part is implied, but I'm not sure.

In reality, the GNU licenses permit the recipient to choose any version
of the license.  For instance, Section 14 of GPLv3 reads:

  If the Program does not specify a version number of the GNU General
  Public License, you may choose any version ever published by the Free
  Software Foundation.

However, in Guix we encode such cases as ‘gpl3+’ (or similar), rather
than ‘gpl1+’.

Ludo’.