guix-devel

Re: bug#24146: Various window managers need startup services.

From: ng0
Subject: Re: bug#24146: Various window managers need startup services.
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2016 08:12:03 +0000

Tomáš Čech <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, Aug 03, 2016 at 10:42:26PM +0000, ng0 wrote:
>>Hi,
>>
>>Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> ng0 <address@hidden> skribis:

>>> Unlike full-blown desktop environments (GNOME, Xfce, KDE), I don’t think
>>> any of these window managers needs a service, because they typically fit
>>> in one package with just one command that needs to be launched.
>>>
>>> Compare this with ‘gnome-service-type’, which needs to extend Polkit and
>>> to add a whole bunch of packages to /run/current-system/profile so that
>>> it can work.
>>>
>>> ratpoison doesn’t need anything like that.  :-)
>>>
>>> I’m closing this bug, but let me know if you think I’m overlooking
>>> something!
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>> Ludo’.
>>

>>Am I overlooking something then?
>>
>>Is a service what is required to make them selectable (cycle by pressing
>>F1) in the SLIM login?
>>I know that they all can be started just with one command, but having
>>them in SLIM would make it more visible as long as we use SLIM.
>
> Desktop files are used for that.
>
> $ ls /gnu/store/*/share/xsessions/
>
> S_W

Well awesome has such a file in share/xsessions/, but just installing
awesome does not help. reconfiguring the system should, with the package
globally available maybe, but as you can see from the bug ticket I had
open it is not entirely clear. We should point out in the manual how
they are started.
--
♥Ⓐ  ng0
Current Keys: https://we.make.ritual.n0.is/ng0.txt