guix-devel

Re: gnunet-fs integration

From: ng0
Subject: Re: gnunet-fs integration
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2016 07:14:54 +0000

address@hidden writes:

> Hi,
>
> While I'm still new to guile and guix, one of my main motivations
> since I started contributing to guix was an item on the end of
> the roadmap, using a decentralized system to distribute updates.
>
> I have started to read through the scripts and underlying parts
> of guix, and also our guix/gnunet.git repository where some
> work already happened in GsoC 2015.
>
> Because this is very likely short, not very explanatory in
> detail, incomprehendable, you can view this email as a short
> introduction of the task, longer emails will follow once I
> have worked out texts and completed phase 0.
>
> At the moment I assume that the following items and steps are
> what's left to get closer to this system:
>
> 1. an up to date GNUnet
>    a. 0.10.1 of gnunet-fs is not compatible to 0.9,
>       gnunet-svn of gnunet-fs is not compatible to 0.10.1
>       https://gnunet.org/bot/log/gnunet/2016-06-23#T1067897

This one will be solved with 0.10.2 release of GNUnet...

> 2. GNUnet system service for shepherd
>    a. it needs a basic service to start with, ideally we
>       provide what gnunet-setup does through an extended
>       system-service later on
>
> 3. stitching together the guile GNUnet bindings
>    with additions to mechanisms which are
>    at least guix {publish,pull,package}.
>
> 4. taking in consideration the current incompabilities of
>    gnunet-fs versions.

...which is why I no longer need to beware incompabilities.

> 5. -optional-
>    construct `gnunetfs-download', similiar to git-download
>    and others, for origins (of software) which are available
>    in gnunet.
>
> I have concrete ideas for solutions, interactions and
> users consent and more, but those will end up in an
> dedicated document which can be viewed online and/or
> appended to an email later.
>

> I will split the work into different phases:
>
> Phase 0:
> - learning about system services
> - write the shepherd gnunet-service

no longer needed, as this is just a package to debug 0.10.2 until it is
released. Afterwards we'll see if -svn still makes sense to be in tree.

--
♥Ⓐ  ng0
Current Keys: https://we.make.ritual.n0.is/ng0.txt