guix-devel

Re: Feedback, ideas, discussion: tracking patches, discussions, bugs.

From: David Craven
Subject: Re: Feedback, ideas, discussion: tracking patches, discussions, bugs.
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2016 11:01:16 +0200

> I don't like gitlab's UI as much as github's, but I can't constructively
> point the finger at what it is. But I'll get used to it just as I got used
> to sending patches via email... ;-)

I think that most of us have already learnt the current system. The main
point I think is decreasing entry barriers for potential contributors. Many
will likely already have experience using github, but are less likely to have
experience with gitlab. Even dough the differences are probably small,
why force potential contributors to change their way of doing things if
it isn't necessary?

If we do decide to use gitlab or gogs, I think we can have the discussions
that are happening on guix-devel and guix-bugs there. What about the
discussions that happen on guix-help? I'm not sure if we should encourage
questions to be posted as an issue or encourage users to ask on
stackoverflow. I like posting questions on github directly, but if the project
grows we could end up with more "beginner questions" with a "read the
manual" answer than other issues.