guix-devel

Re: Maven

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Maven
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2016 08:16:30 +0200

Danny Milosavljevic <address@hidden> writes:

> I also tried to package the Arduino GUI - but it has lots of Apache
> Commons dependencies and those use the Maven repo system.
>
> Has anyone already packaged Apache Commons libraries?

I have not, but the few Java packages I contributed were added because
they are needed to bootstrap dependencies that eventually lead to Maven.
You may find that to package the Apache Commons libraries you need to
dig deeper and package seemingly unrelated libraries first.

Many Java packages bundle dependencies or depend at build time on
binaries that are not easy to build from source.  I’d be happy if we had
more people looking at how to package more of Java.

~~ Ricardo