guix-devel

How does install-grub work?

From: Danny Milosavljevic
Subject: How does install-grub work?
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2016 20:57:34 +0200

On Mon, 29 Aug 2016 20:20:30 +0200
David Craven <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Note: It should infer the correct u-boot to use on its own - at least
> > that's the intention with the whole make-u-boot-package thing.
>
> Did you see the updated u-boot patch? It includes support for
> cross-compilation,

Nice!

> so make-u-boot-package takes a xgcc package and a
> target triplet as arguments. So it probably broke the inference.

No, I think I didn't make it work yet.

I've modeled along the lines of what was already there for Grub. But I've got
no idea where gnu/build/install.scm's install-grub finds "grub-install" - so
the u-boot part doesn't work either since I don't know where to put the package
reference in the first place (or how in the world it works for Grub to begin
with).

Also, there's a few mysterious things with install-grub.

For example the documentation in the function header there says

  "Install Grub with GRUB.CFG on DEVICE, which is assumed to be
mounted on MOUNT-POINT."

I really doubt that it actually does what it says since usually grub is
installed on the drive MBR and not inside a partition. And MOUNT-POINT is a
mounted filesystem on a partition, right? So the whole drive is certainly not
mounted at MOUNT-POINT.

MOUNT-POINT originally comes from guix/scripts/system.scm - process-action. And
that is called by process-command. And that is called by guix-system which is
used when invoking "guix system" "reconfigure". But I've never specified a
mountpoint when invoking that...