guix-devel

Re: GHM debriefing

From: ng0
Subject: Re: GHM debriefing
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2016 06:41:11 +0000

Clément Lassieur <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Ludovic,
>
> Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On that topic, I had an interesting discussion with Nicolas Petton of
>> Emacs about patch tracking.  Nicolas explained that Gitlab (free
>> software) doesn’t have some of the technical defects that GitHub has; in
>> particular it can rebase instead of merging, thereby helping preserve a
>> linear history, and it can be dealt with “mostly” by email.  Perhaps we
>> could try running an instance and see what it’s like.
>
> According to Gitlab Documentation [0] [1], the rebase feature you are
> talking about is only available in Gitlab Enterprise Edition, which is
> proprietary [2].
>
> The libreboot website [3] explains "what's wrong with Gitlab", I think
> it is worth reading.
>
> The Kernel Recipes talk by Greg KH [4] about why the Linux kernel
> developers rely on plain text email instead of using "modern"
> development tools might be of some interest too. It'll happen in Paris
> on September 28 [5].
>
> [0]: https://about.gitlab.com/features/#compare
> [1]: http://docs.gitlab.com/ee/workflow/rebase_before_merge.html
> [2]: https://about.gitlab.com/2014/02/11/gitlab-ee-license-change/
> [3]: https://libreboot.org/gitlab/
> [4]:
> https://kernel-recipes.org/en/2016/talks/patches-carved-into-stone-tablets/
> [5]: https://kernel-recipes.org/en/2016/schedule/
>
> Clément

Oh, too bad...

I used kallithea a while ago, I will set this up at git2.n0.is this week
if my schedule allows me to and look at its features again. License is
no problem there. would be neat to add features like remote instance
"PR" etc..
--
ng0
For non-prism friendly talk find me on http://www.psyced.org