guix-devel

Re: screenshot of the web interface to the GNU Guix package manager

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: screenshot of the web interface to the GNU Guix package manager
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2016 13:54:40 +0200

"Thompson, David" <address@hidden> skribis:

> On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 9:56 AM, ng0 <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:

>>> You can see a running instance of Guix web at
>>> <http://guix.mdc-berlin.de>.
>>>
>>> It runs a slightly modified version of Dave’s code.
>>>
>>> ~~ Ricardo
>>>

>> A good number of people have pointed out to me that our /packages page
>> crashes their browser or in general is really uncomfortable to load.
>> The impression would be better if we provided something which might not
>> be 100% done but at least does not crash/hang systems.
>> What's in the way to use guix-web instead of the listing we have?
>> Perfectionism and/or a lack of time?
>
> Pagination can be achieved without the use of a dynamic web
> application.  I wouldn't recommend guix-web for this right now because
> it also loads slowly.  Some dynamic thing with a search box would be
> cool in the future, but not now.
>
> The Guile source that generates the web pages is available and
> hackable, so it would be relatively easy for someone to break this
> list up in some sane fashion and send a patch.  Any volunteers?

The code that generates the /packages page is at:

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/guix-artwork.git/tree/website/www/packages.scm

A simple improvement would be to statically generate a JSON file
containing package meta-data, and to have the HTML page load that file
and render it, according to search box filters.

Ludo’.