guix-devel

Re: State of maven build system, gradle and Apache commens

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: State of maven build system, gradle and Apache commens
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2016 14:03:10 +0200

Hartmut Goebel <address@hidden> writes:

> is anyone working on this? (I'm lacking knowledge to help with maven
> or gradle, but could help with commons.)

We are still a long way off before get to a working maven build system.
I have a few more Java packages sitting here, but it’s not much.

We first need to recursively package all dependencies of Maven.  The
next packages on my list are “java-javax-mail” (done) and “java-log4j-core”,
which needs the following packages:

    javax-persistence
    javax-jms
    java-zeromq
    kafka
    apache-commons

These might have unpackaged dependencies of their own.  If you took over
“apache-commons” that would be very helpful.  You should be able to use
the “ant-build-system” to get started, even if it doesn’t result in the
prettiest packages.

Once we actually have Maven packaged (completely from source without
cheating) we should take a look at the existing packages again and see
if we should install jars with a directory layout that Maven expects.
Until then I wouldn’t bother trying to anticipate all these issues.

~~ Ricardo