guix-devel

Re: State of maven build system, gradle and Apache commens

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: State of maven build system, gradle and Apache commens
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2016 09:47:58 +0200

Hartmut Goebel <address@hidden> writes:

> Hallo,
>
>         apache-commons
>
> These might have unpackaged dependencies of their own.  If you took over
> “apache-commons” that would be very helpful.  You should be able to use
> the “ant-build-system” to get started, even if it doesn’t result in the
> prettiest packages.
>
> Curiously maven requires commons-io, and commons-io can officially be
> build using maven. That's crude!

That’s a common problem, unfortunately (Maven itself needs Maven, for
example).  The “ant-build-system” can generate a simple “build.xml” file
for those packages that don’t have one, so building individual libraries
without Maven is possible (albeit not always convenient enough).

> CLASSPATH element /gnu/store/…-icedtea-2.6.7-jdk/bin/jar is not a JAR.

This should not be on the CLASSPATH.  The “ant-build-system” sets
CLASSPATH to the result of running “generate-classpath” on all inputs.
Currently, all this does it add any and all “.jar” files to the
CLASSPATH.  To keep “jar” itself out, the regular expression should be
changed from

   (find-files dir "\\.*jar$")

to something like

   (find-files dir "\\.jar$")

> And of course, this is not a jar, but a binary. Also the CLASSPATH
> includes *a lot* of stuff, eg,
> /gnu/store/…-icedtea-2.6.7-jdk/demo/jfc/Notepad/Notepad.jar which I'd
> assume should not be on the standard class-path?

This could be removed by augmenting “generate-classpath” in
“guix/build/ant-build-system.scm”.

~~ Ricardo