guix-devel

Re: Tracking package submissions with Debbugs

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Tracking package submissions with Debbugs
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2016 22:22:00 +0200

Hello!

Alex Kost <address@hidden> skribis:

> David Craven (2016-09-04 20:09 +0300) wrote:
>
>> Why is the gitlab not including the rebase feature a deal breaker?
>
> I'm wondering too.
>
>> It's open source, so disabling the merge button in the ui isn't a big
>> deal. We can continue using git push like we've been doing so far...
>
> I also don't see a problem, it's just a missing button in the web
> interface, and it doesn't prevent us from using "git rebase" or whatever
> is needed to adjust a patch before pushing it to the guix repo.

What I would like to ensure is that:

  1. Our commit history is not full of merges of tiny branches, which is
     what GitHub (and I thought Gitlab) encourages.

  2. Contributors can revise their patch series (by rewriting history of
     that series), and committers can incorporate the final patch set,
     rather than the whole sequence of iterations.  This is what we
     currently do; Gitlab should be able to recognize such patterns and
     notice that the “merge request” can be closed, for instance.

  3. People (especially, ahem, me!) can work from the comfort of their
     favorite editor/terminal, or at least without having to run lots of
     JS code and clicking around all day long.

I haven’t used Gitlab so I don’t know whether these requirements are
satisfied.  If you set up an instance of Gitlab-free-software-edition
and we do not have these problems, I’m happy!  :-)

Ludo’.