guix-devel

Re: Graph an operating-system derivation

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Graph an operating-system derivation
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2016 22:50:53 +0200

David Craven <address@hidden> skribis:

>> What info would you like to see on the graph?
>
> Just trying to better understand how guix works.

‘guix system extension-graph’ is an attempt to help with that, by
showing how pieces are connected together, but it doesn’t show the whole
story…

> I wanted to find out where the locale-2.24.drv comes from, but I found
> it (it's in gnu/system/locale.scm obviously :)

:-)

> Maybe guix edit could also work for derivations? It's nice to be able
> to find the source that created/caused the derivation.

Unfortunately derivations are comparable to assembly without debugging
info, so there’s no way to link back to the source.

(There’s no easy way to fix that, notably because .drv live in the same
global store and different sources can lead to the same .drv.)

Ludo’.