guix-devel

Re: Tracking package submissions with Debbugs

From: Alex Vong
Subject: Re: Tracking package submissions with Debbugs
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2016 09:24:11 +0800

Andreas Enge <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,
>
> using debbugs corresponds to a suggestion I made a while ago, so I am
> obviously in favour of it...
>
> On Sun, Sep 04, 2016 at 10:37:02AM +0800, Alex Vong wrote:
>> > I think it would make sense to have the one bug report for the "target
>> > package" and then all the packages that get pulled in along the way get
>> > tacked on also.
>> Hmm, but what if we have 2 target packages (A, B) pulling the same
>> package (C) in? Then it is not obvious if C should live in A's or B's
>> bug report. What do you think?
>
> I do not quite understand the problem with relating bug reports to packages.
> The discussion sounds as if we considered one constantly open bug report per
> package, which is maybe a misunderstanding on my part. I would say that bug
> reports should correspond roughly to our current discussion threads on
> guix-devel: Someone sends in a patch or patch series, which opens a new bug
> (there seems to be the problem of git-sendmail still); there are replies back
> and forth; in the end the patch is applied (or, from time to time, retracted),
> and the bug is closed. In this way, we have an overview of pending patches
> and are less likely to forget one.

My original thought is to have a bug report per version, so people can
easily search for the packaging history for a particular version. But it
sounds like your idea is better than mine, having an overview of pending
patches is more important.

> As for the non-emacs users, I intend to work as before: Subscribe to all the
> bugs and have them end up in my mailbox, reply, and potentially close them
> by mail.

I think per-bug subsciption is not working right now[0]. Do you know of
any good alternatives?

[0]: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=5439