guix-devel

Re: wip v2 u-boot support

From: Danny Milosavljevic
Subject: Re: wip v2 u-boot support
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2016 16:57:22 +0200

Hi David,

On Fri, 9 Sep 2016 14:02:53 +0200
David Craven <address@hidden> wrote:

> It still doesn't work. Can you please also include gnu system u-boot
> in the patch?

git randomly decided to leave things off the patch when I do "git diff". Sigh.

> It's nice if you can simply apply (all required) patches and things just
> work. I
> expect patches to work before I spend time looking at the code, but
> maybe I'm just old fashioned (or new fashioned?)

It's understandable and I'd expect the same.

I'm at a loss of what I should do when my tools work against me - I can just
write a git diff replacement but at some point I'm reinventing everything. I've
had that feeling for some years now that many dev tools the free software
community uses are broken in strange ways and nobody fixes it or can even find
the original cause or design decision. Often there's an arcane setting (or
worse, extra workflow steps) which you can use to unbreak it - but this is not
the way things should be.

Anyway, attached gnu/system/u-boot.scm which it left off *again* (after git
add, even). (How is having a new file not a *diff*erence? Sigh)

= Overall Design =

As for the overall design, I'm not sure whether I want a separate
u-boot-configuration (as opposed reusing grub-configuration for u-boot).

grub-configuration-file could just return a list of config files, the grub
config file AND the u-boot config file. Guix could install them both and there
would be no need for u-boot-configuration. The only thing we would need is a
field in grub-configuration to specify what to install as bootloader
("installer" or "package" or whatever). (for grub it would say grub and for
u-boot it would say (make-u-boot-package ...). If the user doesn't specify a
value it would just not install any bootloader - which means we could dispense
with --no-grub etc.

The users of grub-configuration-file would have to handle lists. That's the
only things we would need to change. What do you think?