guix-devel

Re: Using arch for kernel config file breaks kernel builds

From: David Craven
Subject: Re: Using arch for kernel config file breaks kernel builds
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 22:54:39 +0200

> seems a commit yesterday (c258807a) broke kernel compilation on
> i686. When searching for kernel configuration file,
> system->linux-architecture reduces i686 to i386, but no matching
> configuration file exists.

Sorry about that. Thank you for reporting the issue.

> I see two options:
> config files for, say, i386 and i686).

Sounds good - kernel-config should take a system instead of an arch,
since we are really interested in getting a configuration for the guix
system and the ARCH that linux-libre uses is an implementation detail.

One difficulty that arises is that %current-target-system is a target
triplet and not a guix system. I don't like adding more special casing
like a (target-triplet->system) function - but we may have to... I'll
fix this tomorrow morning.