guix-devel

Re: Install FAQ: Only build the non-deterministic packages?

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: Install FAQ: Only build the non-deterministic packages?
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2016 17:47:08 -0400

On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 11:06:40AM +0000, ng0 wrote:
> Leo Famulari <address@hidden> writes:
> > Basically, we need someone to be a reproducibility champion in Guix! We
> > have all the tools to test reproducibility, but somebody needs to
> > implement a system to actually perform the tests automatically
>
> Do we have comparable tests available in th test suite of guix?
> If not, I'll open a bug on this so that someone with competence in the
> test suite can put it on their todo list.

Since this test would involve building every package at least twice, I
think it wouldn't be possible for most users who would run `make check`.

> > , store the results, and make the results available to users.
>
> Could Cuiriass - or what our soon-to-be-replacement of hydra is called
> again - do this? Have one testing checkout where all the packages will
> be run again the test(s) we created before and then process the build
> logs?

Right, I think that testing all the packages for reproducibility is best
done by the continuous integration server, whether Hydra or Cuirass. The
CI server can perform the tests on a variety of build farm machines,
record the results, and present them to users somehow.