guix-devel

Re: using Cuirass to track a guix packages' git

From: Mathieu Lirzin
Subject: Re: using Cuirass to track a guix packages' git
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2016 21:49:42 +0200

Hello Jan,

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden> writes:

> I have been playing with Cuirass and I like it a lot!

Cool. :)

I want to let you know that I have just started looking at your patches.
I have been quite busy lately.  Sorry for the latency.

Next time I will let you know sooner if you should expect a delay.

> Next to replacing Hydra for GuixSD, there is another use case that I'd
> like Cuirass to support: tracking an (any) upstream packages' git.

This is highly desirable indeed.

> When the target of your continuous integration is not Guix itself but
> some specific package, you may well want to allow usage of substitutes
> (patch 1).

Agreed.

> Assuming you have checked-out guix and cuirass in ~/src/guix and
> ~/src/cuirass, doing
>
>    ./pre-inst-env cuirass --use-substitutes
> --specifications=tests/hello-git.scm
>
> will monitor any changes to Cuirass' git repository and rebuild the
> latest commit of the Cuirass package using Guix (patch 2 and 3).
>
> Of course, a build a failure should not crash cuirass and also be
> noted/stamped, not repeated every heartbeat (patch 4).

yes :)

> I had some trouble with the #:no-compile? option, it's currently
> specified twice.  On the Cuirass side I think it should be a property
> of the spec, but it seems it gets only passed as part of the
> arguments.  Ideas?

No idea for now.  I will comment/review your code in details in a
following mail.  I should be able to do that in the next 48H.

Thank you for your patches, patience and courage!

--
Mathieu Lirzin