guix-devel

Re: Stuck on KiCad dependency wxPython

From: Danny Milosavljevic
Subject: Re: Stuck on KiCad dependency wxPython
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2016 11:10:41 +0200

Or maybe the attached patch captures the goal of wxwidgets better (which they
IMO don't succeed at).

I added gtk, opengl etc as native inputs instead of regular inputs because from
the point of view of Python they are not direct inputs.

wxPython only requires gtk while building the extension because wxwidgets does
#include <gtk/gtk.h> in their exported API (why...) - but after it's done it
will not require it directly anymore and actually just require wxwidgets.

Of course, the gtk version of wxwidgets will still require gtk by itself.

That said, I still think it would be nicer if wxwidgets propagated gtk - since
when you use wxwidgets, you also need to have gtk as well if wxwidgets was
compiled for gtk - and the one deciding what wxwidgets is compiled for is the
wxwidgets package. So it should go there...

What do you think?