guix-devel

Re: User-profile search paths should include system-profile directories

From: Carlos Sánchez de La Lama
Subject: Re: User-profile search paths should include system-profile directories
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2016 11:59:44 +0200

Hi Ludo, Alex,

> In the example Alex gave, none of the two profiles specifies
> GUILE_LOAD_PATH if taken individually.  This example is also in the
> manual to illustrate the use of multiple -p flags with --search-paths
> (info "(guix) Invoking guix package").

I think I understood now. I knew "guix --search-paths" only returned
those search paths which *do exist* in the current profile (thus the
need for multiple -p parameters), but I (wrongly) thought search paths
were added unconditionally to <profile_root>/etc/profile.

Making this work would need two things:
1) not stripping unexisting directories from search paths
2) constructing environment variables prepending every profile root to
   the search paths of each profile.

And my suggestion only solved point 2.

Now, my question is, why are unexisting search paths removed? This is
done in guix-search-paths.scm(evaluate-sarch-paths), by calling
search-path-as-list, which filters out unexisting directories. Why not
just add all of them? Profiles are immutable once created, so having a
search path pointing into a subexisting subdirectory should not do any
harm.

Am I missing something?

Carlos