guix-devel

GNOME Settings Schemas - How are they searched for?

From: Danny Milosavljevic
Subject: GNOME Settings Schemas - How are they searched for?
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2016 01:35:04 +0200

Hi,

> I was not sure how to handle this properly.  The package libring
> provides a program 'dring', which is a daemon that, as far as I
> understand, does all the communication with peers on the internet.  So
> in order to place a call, one first needs to run 'dring &' and then
> start the ring-client-gnome.  If the ring daemon is not running, then
> ring-client-gnome won't do anything useful, it will just error out on
> startup.
>
> Looking at the manual, this does not justify propagation.  My intention
> was that people can just install ring-client-gnome in a profile and it
> will work.  If libring is not propagated, it will also need to be
> installed by hand.

I think it's fine to be propagated in this case - but let's see what the others
say.

> Is there a good way to specify this kind of runtime requirement?  I
> could also just move it to 'inputs' and put a hint in the description
> that libring should be installed alongside ring-client-gnome.

Good question.

> (gnome-ring:711): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: Settings schema
> 'org.gnome.Evolution.DefaultSources' is not installed
> (gnome-calendar:6793): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: Settings schema
> 'org.gnome.shell.calendar' is not installed
> ** (process:6859): WARNING **: Failed to access calendar configuration: Error
> calling StartServiceByName for org.gnome.evolution.dataserver.Sources
> (gnome-calendar:6859): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: Settings schema
> 'org.gnome.shell.calendar' is not installed

Hmmm... I don't use GNOME - so no idea. I have to defer to people more
knowledgeable about it. How does a GNOME program find other program's settings
schemas in Guix? Also it seems it's trying to use dbus (?) in order to start
the evolution data server. How is that searched for?