guix-devel

fgrep fails to find grep during bootstrap

From: Carlos Sánchez de La Lama
Subject: fgrep fails to find grep during bootstrap
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2016 15:00:30 +0200

Hi all,

I am trying to bootstrap for powerpc-linux. I have generated the
tarballs and patched gnu/packages/bootstrap.scm to use them.

However, I get an error during when creating %bootstrap-coreutils&co
package. It specifies "fgrep" as program to test, but fgrep is a shell
script, and altought the shebang is correctly patched, it needs "grep"
binary in the path (which is not at this stage). fgrep does:

exec grep -F "$@"

so this can not work unless grep is available in PATH.

Options would be to patch those scripts to use `dirname $0`/grep, or
just test another program in package-from-tarball (the program testes
used to be "true"). I am doing the latter to go on bootstraping.

BR

Carlos

--
-Tiens! Mais vous êtes un homme de coeur! dit sir Francis Cromarty.
-Quelquefois, répondit simplement Phileas Fogg. Quand j'ai le temps.

Jules Verne, "Le Tour du monde en quatre-vingts jours" (1872)