guix-devel

Colors and progress indicators on buildprocesses

From: swedebugia
Subject: Colors and progress indicators on buildprocesses
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2016 11:38:10 +0200

Hi

I recently installed Parabola and have played around a bit with compiling AUR-packages to be able to run the programs I want - packaged or not.

Having build a lot on guixsd a while ago I noticed some differences in the cli-overview that I would like to present.

Colorfication and arrows (=>) are used to clearly distinguish pacaur/pacman-commands from the buildprocess output.

A nice thing I saw on some builds (build of qt during build of telegram-desktop) was a per build process percentage indicator located in the beginning of each line of build output like this:
[ 0% ] lorem ipsum....
[ 10% ] lorem ipsum....

In addition to these two above I have an idea as well:
Use the terminal-title wisely to show the progress of the whole transaction and the current running build (e.g.: "Download complete. Buildprogress 4/5: building qt"

What do you think?