guix-devel

Re: guix environment guix doesn't provide guix dependencies?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: guix environment guix doesn't provide guix dependencies?
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2016 23:20:24 +0200

Hi Chris,

Chris Marusich <address@hidden> skribis:

> John Darrington <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

>> I don't think so.   Running ./bootstrap is not part of the normal process
>> for *building*
>> guix - only for bootstrapping.  But you are right - it is common to want to
>> do that.
>> For this reason I often run:
>>
>>  guix environment guix --ad-hoc automake autoconf texinfo help2man
>>

>> But perhaps you are right - the manual might want to mention this.
>>
>> J'
>
> That makes sense.  I feel like it used to provide all the dependencies,
> including autoconf etc., but that was months ago, and I might be
> mis-remembering.  It works fine when I add the needed bootstrap
> dependencies with --ad-hoc.

In fact there’s a small time window during which “guix environment guix”
doesn’t provide autoconf et al.: it’s when the ‘guix’ variable in (gnu
packages package-management) refers to a released tarball instead of a
Git checkout, since a build from tarball doesn’t depend on autoconf et
al.

So if you run “guix environment guix” on a commit different from
v0.11.0 + 1, you effectively get all the dependencies.

I admit this is a bit confusing.  Not sure how to document/improve that.

Ideas?

Ludo’.