guix-devel

Re: is Linux.DDoS.93 unable to work?

From: ng0
Subject: Re: is Linux.DDoS.93 unable to work?
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2016 18:19:17 +0000

Leo Famulari <address@hidden> writes:

> On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 05:47:35PM +0000, ng0 wrote:
>> https://vms.drweb.com/virus/?_is=1&i=8598428
>>
>> As far as I see it, Guix as GuixSD and systems with just Guix but with
>> software/files which is coming from Guix assumed by this trojan to exist in
>> 'normal' locations should not be able to get infected,
>> is this observation correct? I did not feel like this is a case which
>> should go to the -security list, as it's a general question.
>
> I don't know what "Linux.DDoS.93" is. Can you copy and paste the
> relevant text into an email reply?

Oh, sorry. I thought this was obvious from it's name and that I
mentioned it is a trojan.
I got the link to the drweb.com page from https://archive.fo/8LmBS which
is a copy of a short article in softpedia.
The Website I initially linked seems to hold a copy of one version of
the trojan's source code or some relevant/important part of it. Knowing
Germanys weird position on exploits, virus, etc I will not copy anything
from there in the email for my own legal safety.

softpedia quotes:
Dr.Web security researchers, the ones who have discovered this threat,
say the trojan seems to infect Linux machines via the Shellshock
vulnerability, still unpatched in a large number of devices.

The trojan, going by the generic name of Linux.DDoS.93, will first and
foremost modify the /var/run/dhcpclient-eth0.pid file in such a way that
its process is started with every computer boot. If the file doesn't
exist, the trojan will create it itself.

drweb.com:
The Trojan for Linux designed to carry out DDoS attacks. It is spread
presumably via ShellShock vulnerabilities.

At launching, it checks for the presence of
/var/run/dhcpclient-eth0.pid. file. If the Trojan cannot find this file,
it attempts to register itself in autorun.