guix-devel

Re: kdesu security update needed

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: kdesu security update needed
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2016 14:19:05 +0200

Leo Famulari <address@hidden> skribis:

> On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 08:52:34PM +0200, David Craven wrote:
>> Ah just checked our linter doesn't flag a CVE, so I think we're ok...
>
> The linter is a good tool for catching things that we miss, but it's not
> a substitute for manual investigation :)

+1

> First, our package's name might not match the name used by the Common
> Platform Enumeration [0], which is the name that the linter looks up. We
> can give packages a cpe-name property [1], which tells the linter to use
> something besides the package's name.
>
> Second, I've noticed that sometimes bugs are publicized on oss-sec or
> elsewhere, but then they don't show up in the CVE database for a while.

Often, vulnerabilities and CVE IDs are publicized when the CVE ID is
still marked as “reserved” without additional info; reserved CVE IDs
don’t show up in the CVE database that ‘guix lint’ fetches.

> An aside, the CVE linter gives false positives for grafted packages. For
> example, try `guix lint -c cve address@hidden

That’s been annoying me for some time so I’d like to see if we can
improve grafting in a way that would allow us to use a different version
number in the package replacement, which in turn would allow ‘guix lint’
to see the right version number of the replacement.

Ludo’.