guix-devel

libarchive security fixes (was Re: Core-updates timeline)

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: libarchive security fixes (was Re: Core-updates timeline)
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2016 16:14:04 -0400

On Sun, Oct 02, 2016 at 02:50:34PM -0400, Leo Famulari wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 02, 2016 at 03:38:58PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> > We could wait an additional day for libarchive if it’s more convenient,
> > but maybe not longer than that.
> >
> > What do you think would be the most convenient approach?
>
> I will send a patch that cherry-picks what I think are the most
> important bug fixes. I can't guess when libarchive 3.2.2 will be
> released.

I've attached a patch.

It cherry-picks some fixes for some filesystem attacks and two overflows
that can be triggered with "crafted" input. The details are in the patch
files.

I understand if this approach of cherry-picking a handful of commits is
not acceptable. It's hard to judge the full impact of taking only these
changes, some of which a quite significant, without being familiar with
the libarchive code.

That's the reason why I've been waiting for a new upstream release. But
I figured I should at least try to get these bug fixes into the next
release of Guix :)