guix-devel

Re: System configuration on non-GuixSD distributions

From: Christopher Allan Webber
Subject: Re: System configuration on non-GuixSD distributions
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2016 10:50:13 -0500

Hartmut Goebel writes:

> Am 04.10.2016 um 16:12 schrieb Pjotr Prins:
>> I would like a replacement for non-deterministic Cfengine/Chef and the
>> like. I wrote Cfruby once - one reason we still support Ruby 1.8 in
>> Guix ;). Time to replace it on my machines.
>
> I already had the vision about having something like debops
> (www.debops.org) using the GuixSD mechanisms.
>
> (For those of you who do not know debops: It is a collection of more
> then 100 roles (or receipts) for Ansible.)

The deployability dream is what originally drew me to Guix, and then
GuixSD.  Originally I was planning on something separate, Guile based
but able to deploy Debian and etc type systems.

Un/fortunately I think the main advantage to Guix as a deployment system
seems to be if you're really going "all out" and can reproducibly build
the whole thing with it.

Otherwise, what can you do?  I guess you could still build *some*
configuration, like apache configs and etc, but you'd still need to set
up your base system to know to point at the current profile, or whatever
you'd do...