guix-devel

Are these paths important to fix/set to (in/out)puts?

From: Adonay Felipe Nogueira
Subject: Are these paths important to fix/set to (in/out)puts?
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2016 13:39:47 -0300

Note 1: I'm not a programmer, so I don't understand how Autconf,
Automake, GCC, Libtool, M4, or Make work.

Note 2: If someone already did this evaluation on Artanis, or if there's
already a consensus on how to handle such files, please tell me.

While waiting for another patch for Artanis to be approved (which should
fix my previous one and also an error on a new Artanis server Scheme
script), I decided to use my usual Guix script aid to search for
possible hard-coded paths, so I went ahead and cloned their repository
and, from there, I did:

# Begin Guix script aid
#!/bin/sh

# Only works with GNU `grep`.
grep -V | head -n 1 | grep -iq 'gnu' || exit 1

find "." ! \( -type d \) -exec \
  grep -n \
    '[^[:alnum:]]\([s]bin\|doc\|etc\|include\|lib\|share\|usr
\)[^[:alnum:]]' \
'{}' \; -print
# End Guix script aid

Along many false-positives, After hours of manual filtering, I found
lots of suspicious matches, which are attached in this email.

The log file output is as follows:

[:digit:]+: [Matching line.]
[...]
./[Relative path of file containing above matches.]
[Immediately repeat.]

Although I can barely understand what is written in these files, I see
paths pointing to "/usr" or simply to paths starting from "/". There are
others, however, that don't seem to be standard in GuixSD, but are still
tested for in the files described in the attachment (that is, depending
on the system being used, its directory hierarchy, and the order of the
tests, then a different action might be triggered).

There is a possibility that can answer my question more safely, that is:
I don't know if `guix build` isolates the build environment by default,
but if this is really done by default, then we can focus on fixing paths
related to the typical directory hierarchy of of GuixSD.