guix-devel

Re: System configuration on non-GuixSD distributions

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Re: System configuration on non-GuixSD distributions
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2016 17:04:44 +0000

On Tue, Oct 04, 2016 at 10:50:13AM -0500, Christopher Allan Webber wrote:
> Hartmut Goebel writes:
>
> > Am 04.10.2016 um 16:12 schrieb Pjotr Prins:
> >> I would like a replacement for non-deterministic Cfengine/Chef and the
> >> like. I wrote Cfruby once - one reason we still support Ruby 1.8 in
> >> Guix ;). Time to replace it on my machines.
> >
> > I already had the vision about having something like debops
> > (www.debops.org) using the GuixSD mechanisms.
> >
> > (For those of you who do not know debops: It is a collection of more
> > then 100 roles (or receipts) for Ansible.)
>
> The deployability dream is what originally drew me to Guix, and then
> GuixSD.  Originally I was planning on something separate, Guile based
> but able to deploy Debian and etc type systems.
>
> Un/fortunately I think the main advantage to Guix as a deployment system
> seems to be if you're really going "all out" and can reproducibly build
> the whole thing with it.

I know. I would love it and am close to switching on my laptop - but
reality still has me deploying on existing systems.

> Otherwise, what can you do?  I guess you could still build *some*
> configuration, like apache configs and etc, but you'd still need to set
> up your base system to know to point at the current profile, or whatever
> you'd do...

That would be OK. If can configure /etc/sshd_config to something in
Guix that would work. My main problem is that I don't know how to
start :)

Tonight star gazing - perfect sky in NL.

Pj.