guix-devel

Re: Contents of /etc/hosts

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Contents of /etc/hosts
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2016 02:57:10 +0200

On Wed, Oct 05, 2016 at 10:17:14PM +0200, Ludovic Court??s wrote:
     Hi!

     John Darrington <address@hidden> skribis:

     > So ... my recommendations:
     >
     > 1. We change /etc/hosts to read
     >

     >  127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
     >  ::1       localhost.localdomain localhost
     >
     >  127.0.0.2 gambrinus

     It???s not very useful to have ???localhost.localdomain???, is it?

Try doing this:  Put just a single line in your /etc/hosts:
127.0.0.1 localhost
then run "hostname -d"

You will get the answer "(none)"

I'm sure that will break some applications!

Now so long as there is also a canonical hostname in /etc/hosts this won't be
a problem.  But what about on my machine running bind?  Here all hostnames are
in the bind database and not in /etc/hosts (except for localhost).

     Also, shouldn???t we keep the same address for both names?

     Like:

       127.0.0.1 localhost
       ::1       localhost
       127.0.0.1 gambrinus
       ::1       gambrinus

     Or am I missing something?

Hmm.  I have never seen it done this way elsewhere, and I really wonder how some
services will react if they discover that 127.0.0.1 is not called "localhost"?
Or that one address is known by two names.  I think it possible they might
assume a security breach and refuse to work.  Kerberos is very fussy about such
things.

J'

--
Avoid eavesdropping.  Send strong encrypted email.
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3