guix-devel

Re: texmaker, Qt and Chromium

From: David Craven
Subject: Re: texmaker, Qt and Chromium
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2016 11:50:50 +0200

> We’ve gone to great lengths to avoid bundling in providing other
> packages.  See the Java bootstrap, for example, or Ruby.  I don’t think
> it’s “perfectionist” to apply the same standards to other languages and
> build systems.

Maybe it wasn't such a good idea, but since crates are distributed in
source form and compiled statically I didn't see much advantage in
unbundling them. And from what I understand the reason why the js
build system hasn't landed yet is because of similar complications. It
could also be me just being lazy of course... :) I'll revisit this
some other time...