guix-devel

Re: texmaker, Qt and Chromium

From: Danny Milosavljevic
Subject: Re: texmaker, Qt and Chromium
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2016 11:55:09 +0200

Hi,

On Sat, 08 Oct 2016 11:16:03 +0200
Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> wrote:

> as part of our default Qt package.  Software that does depend on
> “qtwebengine”, however, can only be built when the module exists, which
> is why I’d like to package it separately.

Oh, then I agree - as long as the qtwebengine package (or any package, really)
cannot be accidentially installed if known vulnerabilities exist.

> I’m not using Texmaker and

>I don’t know why it needs qtwebengine.

You do now :)

> just see that the build is currently broken, so I’d like to find a
> solution.  Either by removing the package or by packaging its (now
> missing) dependency.

In this specific case I vote for either removing the package or patching it
that it does QDesktopServices::openUrl() as it should. If it were up to me I'd
remove it. But maybe people use it - so they, if any, can patch it. It entails
changing about 5 lines (commenting one block out and re-enabling the other
block that is already there).

That reminds me, is there something like Gentoo's "/etc/portage/package.mask"
in Guix where I can (permanently) specify packages that I don't want to be
installed - as a resolved dependency or otherwise? Some way I can nuke a
package variable permanently?

Like

  guix build --with-input=texmaker=bash something

but permanently for all guix commands...