guix-devel

Re: Adding rottlog service in ‘%base-services’?

From: David Craven
Subject: Re: Adding rottlog service in ‘%base-services’?
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 10:44:55 +0200

> Should we add rottlog-service and thus mcron-service to
> ‘%base-services’?  Is log rotation a basic feature that people expect?
> WDYT?

Why not. There's two sorts of people. The ones that don't care/know
will be happy when things just work and the ones that care/know are
probably defining their own %base-services anyway...

> If we do so, we would need to document a way to add mcron jobs from the
> ‘operating-system’ declaration.  People would no longer be able to write
> something like this in the ‘services’ field.

Mmh... If we do something like this we shouldn't call it mcron-jobs,
otherwise we'll have the same problems like with grub - where all
variables are named grub or grub? or grub.cfg. How about just calling
it jobs?