guix-devel

Re: 07/07: guix: python-build-system: Fix an outdated comment.

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: 07/07: guix: python-build-system: Fix an outdated comment.
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2016 00:16:27 +0200

Danny Milosavljevic <address@hidden> skribis:

>> Sorry, I didn't realize that altering comments here would have an
>> effect; I would have warned Hartmut if I had.
>
> Out of curiousity, why does it have an effect?

The file is imported in the build environment (chroot) of all the
packages that use ‘python-build-system’.  It’s an input of the
derivation of those packages, so when it changes, all these derivations
change.

Hartmut Goebel <address@hidden> skribis:

>> Sorry, I didn't realize that altering comments here would have an
>> effect; I would have warned Hartmut if I had.
>
> I'm sorry, too. I didn't expect that changing a comment would have any
> impact on building packages. Aren't the the files converted to some
> canonical form prior to deciding whether they changed?

No.  There’s no “decision” as to whether they changed; instead, they
just happen to be part of the hash of the output file name.

That said, don’t be sorry gentlefolks: these things happen.  ;-)

Ludo’.