guix-devel

Re: Display diffs between generations.

From: Roel Janssen
Subject: Re: Display diffs between generations.
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2016 11:37:00 +0200

Ludovic Courtès writes:

> Roel Janssen <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> Ludovic Courtès writes:
>
> [...]
>
>>> I think what I’m suggesting is that the first matching generation should
>>> be displayed in full using ‘display-profile-content’, and subsequent
>>> generations would be displayed as a diff.
>>>
>>> Thus, when viewing a single generation, as with --list-generations=42,
>>> we’d only display the full contents of that generation.
>>>
>>> Does that make sense?
>>
>> Ah, sorry, I forgot about this.  This makes sense.  But then, what should we
>> see when we do:
>>
>>   guix package --list-generations=42,46
>>
>> Should we see:
>>   Generation 42 ...:
>>   <full contents>
>>
>>   Generation 46 ...:
>>   <diff with 42>
>
> This one, IMO.

The attached patch implements this behavior.  However, because I use
@code{previous-generation-number} to determine which generation to diff
with, the following will not provide a diff as expected:

  guix package --list-generations=42,41,40

Any ideas on how to fix this?  Otherwise I'll give it another go over
the weekend.

Kind regards,
Roel Janssen