guix-devel

Re: Display diffs between generations.

From: Roel Janssen
Subject: Re: Display diffs between generations.
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2016 18:01:23 +0200

Ludovic Courtès writes:

> Hi!
>
> Benz Schenk <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> On Fri, 21 Oct 2016 11:37:00 +0200
>> Roel Janssen <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>>> The attached patch implements this behavior.  However, because I use
>>> @code{previous-generation-number} to determine which generation to diff
>>> with, the following will not provide a diff as expected:
>>>
>>>   guix package --list-generations=42,41,40
>>>
>>> Any ideas on how to fix this?  Otherwise I'll give it another go over
>>> the weekend.
>>>
>>> Kind regards,
>>> Roel Janssen
>>
>> I adapted your patch to hopefully implement the desired behaviour, but
>> it might need some cleaning up as I'm just getting started learning
>> scheme.
>
>>From what I can see that Benz’ patch does indeed work as expected (but
> really, the example above is a corner case that we shouldn’t worry too
> much about.)
>
> Roel, if that’s fine with you, please commit with proper commit log and
> acknowledgment.
>
> Thanks to both of you.  :-)

Thanks a lot Benz!

There's only one thing:
Would it make more sense to stick to the chronology of the generations
(sorting them before displaying them)?

If you think Benz's patch is good, then I will push that one.  Otherwise
I'll adapt it to sort the generations.

@Benz, what's the copyright line you want to have in the patch?

Kind regards,
Roel Janssen