guix-devel

Re: Guix on clusters and in HPC

From: myglc2
Subject: Re: Guix on clusters and in HPC
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2016 18:01:11 -0400

On 10/26/2016 at 14:08 Ricardo Wurmus writes:

> At the MDC we’re using SGE and users specify their software environment
> in the job script.  The software environment is a Guix profile, so the
> job script usually contains a line to source the profile’s
> “etc/profile”, which has the effect of setting up the required
> environment variables.

Cool. How do you deal with the tendency of user's profiles to be "moving
targets?" IOW, I am wondering how one would reproduce a result at a
later date when one's profile has "changed"?

> I don’t know of anyone who uses VMs or VM images to specify software
> environments.

One rationale I can think of for VM images is to "archive" them along
with the analysis result to provide brute-force reproducibility.

An example I know of is a group whose cluster consists of VMs on VMware.
The VMs run a mix of OSes provisioned with varying levels of resource
(e.g. #CPUs, amount of memory, installed software).

>> Based on my experiments with Guix/Debian, GuixSD, VMs, and VM images it
>> is not obvious to me which of these levels of abstraction is
>> appropriate.
>
> FWIW we’re using Guix on top of CentOS 6.8.  The store is mounted
> read-only on all cluster nodes.

Nice. Do you attempt to "protect" your users from variations in the
CentOS config?

>> The most forward-thinking group that I know discarded their cluster
>> hardware a year ago to replace it with starcluster
>> (http://star.mit.edu/cluster/). Starcluster automates the creation,
>> care, and feeding of a HPC clusters on AWS using the Grid Engine
>> scheduler and AMIs. The group has a full-time "starcluster jockey" who
>> manages their cluster and they seem quite happy with the approach. So
>> you may want to consider starcluster as a model when you think of
>> cluster management requirements.
>
> When using starcluster are software environments transferred to AWS on
> demand?  Does this happen on a per-job basis?  Are any of the
> instantiated machines persistent or are they discarded after use?

In the application I refer to the cluster is kept spun up.  I am not
sure if they have built a custom Amazon VM-image (AMI) or if they start
with a "stock" AMI and configure the compute hosts during the spin up.