guix-devel

Re: Guix on clusters and in HPC

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: Guix on clusters and in HPC
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2016 19:17:23 -0700

Pjotr Prins <address@hidden> writes:

> Wrote down a way to distribute software using containers and tar ;)
>
>   https://github.com/pjotrp/guix-notes/blob/master/DISTRIBUTE.org

Neat trick!  Thanks for sharing.  I see that this relies on undocumented
behavior, which is the fact that each store directory in the
environment's closure gets bind-mounted read-only, and practically no
other files are visible in the container.  I had to peek inside
guix/scripts/environment.scm to figure that out.  Fun stuff :)

Should the bind-mount behavior when creating containers for an
environment also be documented in the manual, or was there a reason why
we didn't mention it there?

--
Chris